Sunday, August 19, 2012

let us not talk falsely now, the hour's getting late

 The chances are, if you have been to the beautiful Yorkshire Sculpture Park then you will have seen Henry Moore's Draped Seated Woman. From the main entrance, just as the park opens up to you, she can be found looking out over the lake. She sits on the hill watching over the park. Keeping her eye on things. Surrounded by her flock.

 If you sit for a while, maybe to draw or something, you'll hear the same old comments, over and over again, from those who come to look at her; stuff about 'her head being too small' and her 'being all out of proportion'. I want to tell them to take a look at themselves, they ain't exactly in proportion either. But I don't. I keep my head down. Keep drawing.

 And, besides, she doesn't need me to stick up for her. She doesn't care what they have to say. She's heard it all before. Over and over again. No, she's not interested. Why would she be when she has this view to look at?

5 comments:

Mariana said...

Wonderful sketches Andrea! I like the "Watchtower" reference too :)

T. Roger Thomas said...

As always, these are fantastic!

BekhaG said...

Lovely post, I really enjoyed it- love YSP. Sketches are beautiful x
http://bekhag.blogspot.co.uk

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks, guys.
If you are ever in this neck of the woods you MUST go to the sculpture park. It's magical.

Cheers.

Unknown said...

She reminds me of GIANTS ORBITING from "Mirrormask." I think she's lovely - at least, your sketches are, since I've never seen her in person. ^_^